For those of you who don't know, I am 23 weeks and 5 days pregnant as of today :) My due date is Aug 30th. We found out in December 2011, and since then have been planning and getting ready.I went through the typical pregnancy "symptoms" that everyone goes through, morning sickness, a bit of moodiness, unable to eat certain foods. After I got to the second trimester, it got easier and I felt like my normal self, except for the fact that my stomach was starting to grow :p
We were so excited to find out what we were having, a boy! His name is going to be Teagan Ryan - and trust me, we discussed a lot of names! Teagan; because we like it and Ryan after his daddy’s middle name :)
At that ultrasound visit, the doctors noticed an issue with my cervix. Instead of it being 4 centimeters like a normal cervix, my cervix was at a 2.4 and funneling; basically making way for the baby to come out sooner. Strenuous exercise was only going to make it worse, with a possibility of losing the baby.
My regular doctor sent me to the MFM (Maternal Fetal Med) doctors, who are basically the high-risk pregnancy doctors. I was given strict orders not to go back to work, and to be on bed rest so I would not risk losing the baby. They also started me on a Progesterone shot, which is supposed to help reduce preterm labor/birth.It was also discussed by the doctors to do a cervical cerclage, basically put a stitch in to help keep the baby in longer. But because I am not below a 2, the doctors are leaving it up to us to make the decision to have the stitch or not. I have a doctor’s appointment today at 3pm, and from there the final decision will be made on whether or not they'll be doing the stitch.
I will let you all know!